The Bucket

6:00 AM

Buckets have so many uses.  But in our house this bucket has two very important uses-- pet water dish and garden watering.  The bucket lives in our bathroom tucked into a corner next to the vanity.

I got my bucket almost ten years ago when I went to the home and garden show.  It is from Denver Water.  The idea behind the bucket is this: put the bucket in your bathtub and when you turn the water on to get warm for your shower, the water fills the bucket instead of going down the drain.  Then you can use the bucket of water to water plants and pets, mop the floor, or wash the car.  You get the idea.

Our house was built in 1946 and it takes a gallon of water minimum (and that's if you are the second shower) to get hot water flowing to the tub.  The bucket holds a little over two gallons of water.  I have used this bucket daily to water pots of flowers, plants, roses, the garden and grass.  It's not a lot but I know the water doesn't get wasted.  Plus the dogs and cats drink out of it.  Why on earth would they drink out of their respective water bowls when the communal bucket works just fine?

Shared:  Independence Day Challenge

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I love the bucket/shower idea! That's a great use of a resource that otherwise would be going down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a great idea. Our house is old as well and it takes about the same amount of water to get hot. Our dog and cat use the same water bowl as well. I should train them to use the bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a great idea. Our house is old as well and it takes about the same amount of water to get hot. Our dog and cat use the same water bowl as well. I should train them to use the bucket!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GoodReads

Featured Post

My Path To Debt

My path to debt started when I was 20. It was my junior year at college and I had just bought textbooks for the spring semester. In each ...